Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Can I write "single person only" or "apt for one person" in the classifieds to rent out a 1 BR apartment?

I own the house and live on the top floor and I would really like to rent out my 1 bedroom apartment to one person. Is this legal? If I can't write it can I tell them over the phone? Thanks.Can I write "single person only" or "apt for one person" in the classifieds to rent out a 1 BR apartment?
Technically I believe you'd be guilty of housing discrimination. The law states that you may not discriminate against a tenant because of "family status", which this might well be said to fall under.



I don't think it's a good idea. While "one person" is theoretically better than "single person", it might still cause you a headache down the line if somebody wants to give you a hard time.



Keep in mind that you have the right to approve the potential tenant prior to renting the place! You can reject anybody "SO LONG AS YOU AREN'T DOING IT OUT OF DISCRIMINATION." Hope you catch my drift on that last bit.



And check out the HUD website for yourself if you want to read up! Link below:
you cannot advertise for "single person only". descriminating on familial status is a violation of Federal Fair Housing Act.



You can advertise for "one person"Can I write "single person only" or "apt for one person" in the classifieds to rent out a 1 BR apartment?
Just say one bedroom and it's unlikely you'll get more than one person wanting to live there at a time.Can I write "single person only" or "apt for one person" in the classifieds to rent out a 1 BR apartment?
Legal, but use the second phrase in your question NOT the first one. The first one has a hint of discrimination in it. MUST be in writing!
I guess your state could have special rules, call a real estate office they should know the law, find one advertising rentals.

If its legal, yes you may put that in the ad, and in the lease. Strong language to show if they break the rule you will revoke tenancy.

Most apts have rules on how many can live there.
say 1 Br suitable for 1 person only i am in NY and its done all the time.
Simply state "apartment is suitable for 1"

No comments:

Post a Comment